2nd Annual CLA Mental Health Conference – Advocacy before the Ontario Review Board
Date: April 2, 2016
Saturday, April 2, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Ryerson University, George Vari Engineering and Computing Centre, Classroom ENG-LG11, 245 Church Street, Toronto
In-Person and LIVE Webcast registration options available. Registration includes a PDF copy of event materials.
CPD CONFIRMED! The 2nd Annual CLA Mental Health Conference – Advocacy Before the Ontario Review Board program to be held on April 2, 2016 has been accredited for 1 hr 15 min Professionalism Content. This program is also eligible for up to 2 hr 45 min Substantive Content.
Increasingly, individuals with mental illnesses are becoming entangled in the criminal justice system. Clients with serious mental health issues present unique challenges for defence counsel. Solicitor-client relationships may be complicated, and the law is no simpler. Defence counsel require specialized knowledge and skills to deal with psychiatric issues that crop up throughout the criminal law process.
Come hear leading practitioners and new lawyers identify ethical and professional pitfalls and offer strategies to successfully manage cases involving a wide variety of mental health issues. In addition, you will learn the skills needed to effectively adduce and respond to psychiatric evidence before the Ontario Review Board.
- Opening Comments and Welcome (9 to 9:05)
- An Overview of the ORB and the Set Up: Hearing Prep (9:05 to 9:50)
- Moderator: Katalin Kirec, Assistant Crown Attorney (Toronto)
- Keli Mersereau, Defence Lawyers (London)
- Mary Murphy, Defence Lawyer (Toronto)
- The Role of the Parties: The Hospital, the Treatment Team and the Crown (9:50 to 10:30 a.m.)
- Dr. Mark Pearce, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (Toronto)
- Barbara Walker-Renshaw, Borden Ladner Gervais (Toronto)
- Joe Wright (MOHLTC)
- Cross Examinations: How to develop a winning strategy for your hearing (10:45 to 11:35 a.m.)
- Dr. Gary Chaimowitz, McMaster University (Hamilton)
- Suzan Fraser, Fraser Advocacy (Toronto)
- Andrew Menchynski, Presser Barristers (Toronto)
- Anita Szigeti, Anita Szigeti Advocates (Toronto)
- Review Board Law: the Basics and Beyond – what you need to know to make submissions to the Board (11:35 a.m. to 12:05 p.m.)
- Erin Dann, Di Luca Barristers (Toronto)
- The Charter and the ORB: an Update on the Law and making Charter arguments before the ORB (12:05 to 12:45 p.m.)
- Michael Davies, Foord Davies LLP (Ottawa)
- Michael Feindel, Assistant Crown Attorney (Toronto)
- Legal Aid: their appeals programs and how to get funded by LAO (12:45 to 12:55 p.m.)
- Darcy DesLauriers, Legal Aid Ontario (Toronto)
- Ryan Fritsch, Lead, Mental Health Strategy, Legal Aid Ontario (Toronto)
- Thank you and Conclusion (12:55 to 1 p.m.)
All registrants will receive a PDF copy of the conference materials within 24 hours of the event to the e-mail provided when registering.
In-person and LIVE webcast options available. Registrants will be asked to select option when registering. Webcast registrants will be sent log-in information for the webcast within 24 hours of the session and to the e-mail provided when registering.
REGISTER ONLINE by going to http://www.karelo.com/register.php?BID=372&BT=10&Ev=16097.
- $115 plus HST for CLA Full/Observer Member Called to the bar in or before 2012
- $105 plus HST for CLA Full/Observer Member Called to the bar in or after 2013
- $80 plus HST for CLA Articling Student Member
- $65 plus HST for Student members (currently enrolled in law school)
- $180 plus HST for non-member lawyers or paralegals
- $110 plus HST for non-member Articling Students and Students
Program Planning Committee:
Jessyca Greenwood and Anita Szigeti
Ryerson University, George Vari Engineering and Computing Centre, Classroom ENG-LG11, 245 Church Street, Toronto
- Located on south east corner of Church and Gould Street.
- Download a map with parking and TTC information.
For cancellations received by 5 p.m. on March 29, 2016, a full refund is available minus a $25 administration fee. No cancellations will be accepted after March 29, 2016. Substitutions will be permitted if the office is notified by March 31, 2016. All cancellations must be submitted in writing by fax (416-968-6818) or e-mail (email@example.com). A refund confirmation will be sent. We reserve the right to change program content, speakers and location without notice.