2nd Annual Women in Criminal Law Conference
Date: March 4 / March 5, 2016
Conference: Saturday, March 5, 2016, 8:15 a.m. to 5 p.m., Four Points By Sheraton, Room Bristol AB, 1150 Wellington Road South, London ON.
Friday Social: March 4, 2016, 7 to 9 p.m., UPDATED LOCATION – Four Points By Sheraton, Balmoral Ballroom, 1150 Wellington Road South, London ON
A Woman’s Place is in the Court House – 2nd Annual Women in Criminal Law Conference program to be held on March 5, 2016 has been accredited for 2 hr 20 min Professionalism Content. This program is also eligible for up to 4 hr 10 min Substantive Content.
Registration is now open for the Criminal Lawyers’ Association’s 2nd Annual Women in Criminal Law Conference. Organized by the CLA Women’s Committee, this event will be held on Saturday, March 5, 2016 at the Four Points by Sheraton in London ON. There is also a great opportunity to network with your colleagues being held Friday, March 4.
Female defence lawyers may face unique challenges in building and maintaining a practice in a field still dominated by men and framed by men’s expectations. This conferences explores these issues with a unique and diverse program and speakers.
Our Keynote Speaker will be The Honourable Lise Maisonneuve, Chief Justice, Ontario Court of Justice.
As both the Spring and Fall CLA conferences are held each year in Toronto, the Women’s Committee is proud to hold this event in London to provide greater opportunities for members to attend and meet colleagues from across the province. The conference is in person only.
Advance registration required. At the door registrations will not be accepted.
8:15 to 9:05 a.m.: Arrival of registrants, continental breakfast, Welcome and Introductions
9:05 to 9:45 a.m.: Keynote Speaker
- The Honourable Lise Maisonneuve, Chief Justice, Ontario Court of Justice (Toronto)
9:45 to 10:45 a.m.: Rights, Myths and Controversies: Sexual Assault Law in Canada
- Moderator – Ingrid Grant, Russell Silverstein & Associate (Toronto)
- Gillian Hnatiw, Lerners LLP (Toronto)
- Laurie Tuttle, Assistant Crown Attorney (London)
- Anne London-Weinstein, Weinstein Law (Ottawa)
10:45 to 11 a.m.: Break
11 to 11:45 a.m.: Dear Lawyer, Will You Marry Me? Xoxoxo Your #1 Client
- Moderator – Meaghan Thomas, Bayne Sellar Boxall (Ottawa)
- Lisa Carnelos, Gatti Law Professional Corp. (Windsor)
- Professor Randal Graham, Western Law (London)
- The Honourable Renee M. Pomerance, Superior Court of Justice (Windsor)
11:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.: The Balancing Act – Having it all! (and being able to enjoy it)
- The Honourable Jeanine Leroy, Ontario Court of Justice (London)
- Julie Santarossa, Santarossa Law (Windsor)
- Jaime Stephenson, Jaime L Stephenson and Associates (Hamilton)
12:45 to 2:15 p.m.: Lunch
2:15 to 3:15 p.m.: “Going Through the Motions” – The Most Common Pre-Trial Motions
- Tanit Gilliam, Federal Crown Attorney (Toronto)
- Marcia Hilliard, Hardy & Associates (London)
- The Honourable Helen Rady, Superior Court of Justice (London)
- Leora Shemesh, Leora Shemesh Professional Corporation (Toronto)
3:15 to 3:25 p.m.: Washroom Break
3:25 to 4:25 p.m.: Cross like a Boss
- Moderator – Stephanie Baker, Marcuccio, Baker (Sudbury)
- Frances Brennan, Frances Brennan Law (London)
- Lisa Gunn, Gunn and Nicholson Law Offices (St. Thomas)
- Heather Pringle, Pringle & Bottomley (Toronto)
- Lindsey Santerre, Elm Street Law (Sudbury)
4:25 to 5 p.m.: Top Five Cases by Five Top Women
- Carolynn Conron, Defence Lawyer (London)
- Meara Conway, Defence Lawyer (Toronto)
- Laura Liscio, Defence Lawyer (Toronto)
- Anita Szigeti, Anita Szigeti Advocates (Toronto)
- Lauren Wilhelm, Dean Paquette and Associates (Hamilton)
REGISTRATION OPTIONS AND FEES:
Conference: Saturday, March 5, 2016
Registration includes access to the Saturday conference, electronic copy of materials (will be emailed 24 hours prior to event), breakfast and lunch. Women only.*
- $230 plus HST: CLA Full/Observer Member called to bar in or before 2012
- $210 plus HST: CLA Full/Observer Member called to bar in or after 2013
- $185 plus HST: CLA Articling Student Member
- $100 plus HST: CLA Student Member
- $300 plus HST: Non-Member Practicing Lawyer
- $215 plus HST: Non-Member Articling Students or Students
*If you are on, or recently returning from parental leave, or experiencing financial difficulties please contact John Chagnon at the CLA Office as you may qualify for special pricing options.
Friday Social: March 4, 2016
There is a separate fee for the social and is open to both conference and non-conference attendees. Registration includes access to the Friday social, one beverage and passed hors d’oeuvres.
- $50 plus HST: CLA member
- $65 plus HST: Non-member
Register securely online with visa, mastercard or debit by going to http://www.karelo.com/register.php?BID=372&BT=10&Ev=16007. By registering online, you will receive an instant receipt and confirmation.
If you’d prefer not to register online, please download the registration form PDF, complete and submit with payment to the CLA office by March 1, 2016 (or before spaces sell out). Payment must be received for registration to be accepted.
The CLA has secured a special rate of $119 plus tax per night at the host venue (for a Superior King Bed or 2 Queen Bed Guest Room). The rate is available before February 2, 2016. To book, you must call the Reservations Manager and note you are part of the Criminal Lawyers’ Association. Please call 1-519-681-0600 x8203.
For cancellations received by February 22, 2016, a full refund is available minus a $50 administration fee. No cancellations will be accepted after February 22, 2016. Substitutions will be permitted if the office is notified by March 1, 2016. All cancellations must be submitted in writing by email (email@example.com) or fax (416-968-6818).
The CLA very much appreciates the support of our sponsors.
- Addario Law Group
- Bayne Sellar Boxall
- Breese Davies Law
- Elizabeth C. Barefoot
- Cooper Barristers
- Derstine Penman Criminal Lawyers
- Donald H. Crawford, Q.C.
- Defence Counsel Association of Ottawa (DCAO)
- Hamilton Criminal Lawyers’ Association
- Henein Hutchison LLP
- London Criminal Lawyers’ Association
- Michael A. Moon Professional Corporation
- Russell Silverstein & Associates
- Sudbury District Law Association
- Thomson Reuters
- X-Copper Professional Corporation
Platinum – $1,000 each (SOLD OUT)
Gold – $500 each (SOLD OUT)
Silver – $250 each (limited spaces left)
This opportunity is the Silver sponsor for the conference on Saturday, March 5, 2016. Attendees will include female members of the defence bar, judiciary, educators, reporters and other prominent guests. More than 100 attendees will be in attendance at the conference. Privileges include:
- Company name located in the Conference materials PDF (provided to all attendees) on sponsor recognition page
- Company name placed on www.criminallawyers.ca linked to sponsor website plus included in e-mail promotions of the conference to more than 2,500 legal professionals
To ensure you or your firm are acknowledged in the conference materials, confirmation of sponsorship must be received in the CLA office by February 20, 2016. To submit, please download the sponsorship package and complete and submit the last page: http://www.criminallawyers.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/CLAWomensConferenceSponsorship2016.pdf.
Questions/Comments? Please direct to John Chagnon.