44th Annual CLA Fall Conference
Date: October 28 & 29, 2016
Date: October 28 & 29, 2016
Time: Friday – 8:50 a.m. to 5:15 p.m., followed by a cocktail reception
Time: Saturday – 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Conference Location: Toronto Marriott Downtown Eaton Centre Hotel, 525 Bay Street, Toronto, ON
The 44th annual Criminal Lawyers’ Association Fall Conferenceis now open for registration! The Annual Criminal Lawyers’ Association Fall Conference is Canada’s largest criminal law conference attracting more than 700 defence lawyers, judiciary, educators, reporters and other prominent guests from across Canada.
Please note speakers and topics noted below may be updated.
The 44th Annual CLA Fall Conference program to be held on October 28-29, 2016 has been accredited for 3 hr 0 min Professionalism Content. This program is also eligible for up to 8 hr 0 min Substantive Content.
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 27
7 to 10 p.m. Hospitality Suite at the host hotel – Room 1725
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 27
7 to 10 p.m. Women in Criminal Law Dinner and Social.
- A specially catered sit-down dinner being held at THE RICHMOND, 477 Richmond St. W. Suite 104, Toronto.
- Open to all women
- NEW LOWER PRICE! $45 + HST per person
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 28
8:50 to 9:15 a.m. The President’s Welcoming Remarks Anthony Moustacalis
The Practice of Law
9:15 to 10 a.m. Immigration and Border Issues
- Marshall Drukarsh, Defence Lawyer (Toronto)
- Stuart Friedman, Defence Lawyer (USA)
- Mark Mahoney, Harrington & Mahoney (USA)
10 to 10:30 a.m. The Aboriginal Client – Pre-trial and Sentencing Issues
- Promise Holmes Skinner, Defence Lawyer (Toronto)
10:30 to 11 a.m. Weapons’ Demonstration
- Vincent Paris, Assistant Crown Attorney (Toronto)
11 to 11:30 a.m. Coffee Break
11:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. The Limits of Civility, Advocacy and Persuasion
- The Honourable Cary Boswell, Superior Court of Justice (Newmarket)
- Marlys Edwardh, Goldblatt Partners LLP (Toronto)
- Anne London-Weinstein, Weinstein Law (Ottawa)
12:15 to 1 p.m. A Bias-Informed Approach to Advocacy
- Gina Pruski, Director of Training and Development at Wisconsin State Public Defender’s Office (USA)
Sopinka Lecture Luncheon
1 to 2:30 p.m.
Featuring the Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada – The Honourable Jody Wilson-Raybould
The Latest in Charter Litigation
2:30 to 3:15 p.m. The Birth of MMS Challenges? The Death of s. 11(b)? The Resurrection of s. 24(2)?
- The Honourable Aston Hall, Ontario Court of Justice (Toronto)
- Howard Krongold, Abergel Goldstein & Partners LLP (Ottawa)
- Janani Shanmuganathan, Di Luca Dann LLP (Toronto)
3:15 to 4 p.m. Lawyers and the Media
- Daniel Brown, Daniel Brown Law Office (Toronto)
- Wendy Gillis, The Toronto Star (Toronto)
- Sam Pazzano, Toronto Sun (Toronto)
- Nadir Sachak, Defence Lawyer (Toronto)
- Anna Maria Tremonti, host of CBC radio’s The Currrent (Toronto)
4 to 4:45 p.m. The Ethics of Social Media Marketing
- Jabez LeBret, Business writer for Forbes CMO Network, Author of a #1 best-selling Amazon book on technology & marketing for lawyers, and founding partner of a tech company for the legal profession (USA)
4:45 to 5:15 p.m. CLA’s Annual General Meeting
5:15 to 6:45 p.m. COCKTAIL RECEPTION
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 29
9 to 9:20 a.m. Opening Remarks Paul B. Schabas, Law Society Treasurer
Case Law Update
9:20 to 9:50 a.m. 15 Recent Cases You Need To Know
- The Honourable Bruce Durno, Superior Court of Justice (Brampton)
- The Honourable Mara Greene, Ontario Court of Justice (Toronto)
- The Honourable Michal Fairburn, Superior Court of Justice (Brampton)
9:50 to 10:35 a.m. Keynote Speaker
- Joseph J. Arvay, Q.C. (Vancouver)
10:35 to 11:05 a.m. Coffee Break
11:05 to 11:30 a.m. What if They made a Revolution and Nobody came: Expert Opinion Evidence in Canadian Criminal Cases
- Alan Gold, Alan D. Gold Professional Corporation (Toronto)
11:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. Garofoli Step 6
- The Honourable Steve Coroza, Superior Court of Justice (Brampton)
- Iona Jaffe, Senior Counsel, Public Prosecution Service of Canada (Brampton)
- John Norris, Simcoe Chambers (Toronto)
12 to 1 p.m. Digital Technology Update
- Peter Davis, Principal Consultant, Peter Davis + Associates, a management consulting firm specializing in the security, audit and control of information systems (Toronto)
- Scott Latimer, Crown Counsel (Toronto)
- Christopher Parsons, Research Associate with the Citizen Lab at the Munk School of Global Affairs at UofT (Toronto)
- William Thompson, Addario Law Group (Toronto)
Martin Medal Luncheon
1 to 3 p.m.
Presentation of the G. Arthur Martin Criminal Justice Award to Frank Addario
Please note the following:
- Special reduced conference pricing for CLA members coming from outside of the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) is available. The following locations are considered to be part of the GTA: Ajax, Aurora, Brampton, Brock, Burlington, Caledon, Clarington, East Gwillumbury, Georgina, Halton Hills, King, Marhkam, Milton, Mississauga, Newmarket, Oakville, Oshawa, Pickering, Richmond Hill, Scugog, Stouffville, Toronto, Uxbridge, Vaughan, Whitchruch, Whitby, York.
- For all conference registrants, except CLA Active/Associate members called to the bar in 2013 to 2016, registration to either luncheon and the Women in Criminal Law Dinner is optional and separate from the main registration fee. An additional fee for each will apply.
- For CLA Active/Associate members called to the bar in 2013 to 2016, the Friday Sopinka Lecture Luncheon is included with the main registration fee. The Saturday luncheon and Women in Criminal Law Dinner are separate from the main registration fee. An additional fee for each will apply.
- Conference Materials: Registration to the conference includes an electronic copy of the materials and will be provided within 24 hours of the start of the conference to the email address provided when registering. If you wish to also have a printed copy of the materials to pick up when you check in at the conference, it is an additional $45.20. Conference materials are only available to conference registrants.
- There is NO one day rate available to attend the conference.
- Cancellations will be accepted in writing if received on or before October 15. Cancellations are to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. A $50 admin fee will apply. No refunds will be accepted on or after October 16, 2016. Substitutions or the sharing of registrations is not accepted.
- Register securily online by going to http://www.karelo.com/register.php?BID=372&BT=10&PrivEv=16583.Want to pay by cheque? Prefer to not register online? Please download and submit the PDF registration form.
Registration options & rates BEFORE HST:
CLA MEMBERS CALLED TO THE BAR IN 2012 OR BEFORE
- $260: Active/Associate member called to the bar in 2012 or before and IN the GTA
- $234: Active/Associate member called to the bar in 2012 or before and NOT in GTA
CLA MEMBERS CALLED TO THE BAR IN 2013 OR AFTER – includes Friday Sopinka lecture luncheon
- $180: Active/Associate member called to the bar in 2013 or after and IN the GTA
- $162: Active/Associate member called to the bar in 2013 or after and NOT in GTA
CLA MEMBERS – ARTICLING STUDENTS
- $140: Articling student member and IN the GTA
- $126: Articling student member and NOT in GTA
CLA MEMBERS – STUDENTS
- $100: Student member (currently enrolled) and IN the GTA
- $72: Student member (currently enrolled) and NOT in GTA
Not a current member of the CLA? Information on membership can be found by going to http://www.criminallawyers.ca/membership/join-us/. Feel free to also call the CLA office to discuss membership options – 416-214-9875.
- $575: Non-member practicing lawyer or legal professional
- $250: Non-member student or articling student
Extra options & rates BEFORE HST:
- $50: Friday Sopinka Lecture Luncheon
- $50: Saturday Marten Medal Luncheon
- $45: Thursday Women in Criminal Law Dinner – A specially catered sit-down dinner being held at THE RICHMOND, 477 Richmond St. W. Suite 104, Toronto.
- $40: Printed copy of conference materials (only available to conference registrants)
REGISTER ONLINE TODAY – http://www.karelo.com/register.php?BID=372&BT=10&PrivEv=16583
Want to pay by cheque? Prefer to not register online? Please download and submit the PDF registration form.
2016 Fall Conference Sponsors
- Doucette Santoro Furgiuele
- Greenspan Humphrey Lavine
- MKD International Inc.
- Moon Rozier LPC – Michael A. Moon, Director; Nicole (Nic) Rozier, Senior Associate; Ekaterina Perchenok, Associate; Leah Gensey, Associate; Samer Ghazala, Student-at-Law
- Sandberg-Williams Barristers
- Victor Giourgas and Carol Cahill
- Elizabeth Barefoot
- Donald H. Crawford, QC
2016 Fall Conference Exhibitors
- Canadian Centre for Addictions
- Emond Publishing
- Imperial Robes Limited
- Inquisit Solutions
- Irwin Law Inc.
- JEMTEC Inc.
- Julie Zikman Toporoski Therapy and Consultation
- King Law Chambers Inc.
- Law Practice Program (LPP) – Ryerson University
- LexisNexis Canada Inc.
- MDD Forensic Accountants
- MKD International Inc.
- Pardons Canada
- Recovery Science Corporation
- Steven Maxwell Drug Recognition Expert Consulting
- Thomson Reuters