2019 Annual CLA Spring Conference
Date: Saturday, June 8, 2019 from 7:50 a.m to 1:15 p.m.
Saturday, June 8, 2019, 7:50 a.m. to 1:15 p.m.
In person: Law Society of Ontario (LSO), Donald Lamont Learning Centre, 130 Queen Street West, Toronto
Live webcast option will also be provided
LSO Accreditation Pending
Please note that the CLA will be doing an “old robe” clothing drive at our Spring Conference. The robes will be donated to anyone who needs them and is not able to afford them and will not be restricted to criminal lawyers. All registrants are encouraged to bring and donate their old robes. A CLA representative will collect them on site.
Agenda, Topics, Speakers
7:50 to 8:10 a.m. Registration (Donald Lamont)
8:10 to 8:15 a.m. Welcome and Introductions (webcast begins)
8:15 to 9 a.m. “We Don’t Need No Education”…unless we are now trying to make sense of the new drug/alcohol impaired regime
- Philip Perlmutter, Crown Attorney
- The Honourable Moiz Rahman, Ontario Court of Justice
- Jonathan Rosenthal, Defence Lawyer
9 to 10 a.m. “We Don’t Need No Thought Control”…taking control of a fraud case
- Grace Hession David, Ministry of the Attorney General
- The Honourable Rita Maxwell, Ontario Court of Justice
- Amanda Ross, Cooper, Sandler, Shime & Bergman LLP
10 to 10:45 a.m. “No Dark Sarcasm In The Courtroom”…And if there is – make sure it is all on the record for the appeal
- Janani Shanmuganathan, Defence Lawyer
- Breana Vandebeek, Rusonik, O’Connor, Robbins, Ross LLP
- The Honourable J. David Watt, Court Martial Appeal Court of Canada; Court of Appeal for Ontario
10:45 to 11 a.m. Break
11 to 11:45 a.m. “Hey, Teacher, Leave Those Kids Alone”…racism and policing
- Professor Scot N. Wortley BA, MA, PhD
- Professor Akwasi Owusu-Bempah BA, MA, PhD
11:45 to 12:30 p.m. “All We Are Is Just Another Brick In The Wall”…top 5 under 5
- Ayesha Abbasi, Defence Lawyer (2015)
- Janelle Belton, Defence Lawyer (2016)
- Sonny Dudani, Defence Lawyer (2017)
- Hubert Gonzalez, Defence Lawyer (2014)
- Ashley Sewrattan, Defence Lawyer (2017)
12:30 to 1:15 p.m. “If You Don’t Eat Your Meat, How Can You Have Any Pudding”…making sure your work volume and client needs don’t take over your life
- John Erickson, Defence Lawyer
- The Honourable Janet Leiper, Superior Court of Justice of Ontario
- Nadia Liva, Courtyard Chambers
NEW in 2019: In person and live webcast registrants are invited to a FREE social at the Duke of Cornwall, 400 University Ave. #100 (pending weather, we have asked for the patio), Toronto from 2 to 4 p.m. Food platters and one drink of choice per guest will be provided. The social is only open to Spring Conference registrants.
- CLA Full/Observer Member called in or before 2016: $75+HST
- CLA Full/Observer Member called in 2017 and after: $60+HST
- CLA Articling Student Member: $55+HST
- CLA Student Member or Mentorship Program Participants: $25+HST
- Non-Member Practicing Lawyer and Paralegals: $175+HST
- Non-Member Articling Students, Students and Law Clerks: $110+HST
Register online by going to https://members.criminallawyers.ca/event-3350129 or call the CLA office with Visa, Amex or Mastercard, Mon-Fri 9 a.m to 5 p.m. at 416-214-9875.
Cancellations will be accepted in writing if received by 12 noon (ET) on or before June 3. Cancellations are to be sent to [email protected]. A $10 admin fee will apply. No refunds will be accepted on or after June 3. The substitution of registrants is not accepted unless emailed to [email protected] 36 hours prior to the event start time. The sharing of registrations is not permitted. The CLA reserves the right to alter or cancel, without prior notice, any of the arrangements relating directly or indirectly to an event, for any circumstances beyond the CLA’s reasonable control. If CLA cancels the event, registrants will be offered a full refund. Should circumstances arise that result in the postponement of an event, registrants will have the option to either receive a full refund or transfer registration to the same event at the new, future date. In the case of inclement weather, unless otherwise notified by CLA, the event will still take place. When an event proceeds as planned, there will be no refunds should attendees not be able to attend as a result of weather. The CLA will also not be liable to refund registration fees should the event be impacted by a transit strike, strike lock-out, accident, civil disturbance or any other cause whatsoever beyond their control.
* We work hard to bring quality programming and networking opportunities. Your support of our efforts is very much appreciated and we hope you enjoy our programming. To help us continue with bringing quality programming, it is important that only those that register participate. Please do NOT share the webcast link with anyone.Please note that for CPD purposes, each Live Webcast registrant MUST register individually (even if planning on watching with a group). The email address provided when registering is where the webcast details will be sent closer to the event date. Only those that register in advance can claim CPD.