46th Annual CLA Fall Conference
Date: November 9-10, 2018
November 9-10, 2018
Conference Location: Toronto Marriott Downtown Eaton Centre Hotel, 525 Bay Street, Toronto, ON
The 46th annual Criminal Lawyers’ Association Fall Conference is now open for registration! The Annual Criminal Lawyers’ Association Fall Conference is Canada’s largest criminal law conference, attracting more than 700 defence lawyers, judiciary, educators, reporters and other prominent guests from across Canada.
Hotel Night Bookings
The CLA has a limited special room rate on hold of $150 plus taxes per night at the host hotel. Please note that on September 21, we confirmed with the venue that the CLA room block is almost sold out (we expanded the number of rooms available). Please call Marriott Reservations, and be sure to request the “Criminal Lawyers’ Association room rate of $150” by calling 1-800-228-9290. If they note when calling that the $150 rate is no longer available, it means our block is sold out. We are not able to increase the block size any further.
Conference Registration Rates
Conference registration includes a PDF copy of the materials. Luncheons and Women’s dinner are at extra cost. Conference materials will be emailed to all registrants at least 48 hours in advance to the email address provided when registering. Please be sure to monitor your spam/junk folders for materials. No sharing of materials is allowed as they are included with the registration fee. The CLA does not provide printed copies of the materials.
Please note we do not offer a one-day rate. The sharing of registrations is not permitted.
Conference registration for individuals from the Greater Toronto Area:
(This includes all cities and townships in the following regions: City of Toronto; Durham; Halton; Peel; York)
- $425 plus HST: Full/Active members called to the bar in 2015 or before
- $275 plus HST: Full/Active members called to the bar in 2016 or after
- $260 plus HST: Articling Student members
- $160 plus HST: Student members
- $735 plus HST: Non-members
Conference registration for individuals from OUTSIDE the Greater Toronto Area:
- $362 plus HST: Full/Active/Observer members called to the bar in 2015 or before
- $234 plus HST: Full/Active/Observer members called to the bar in 2016 or after
- $219 plus HST: Articling Student members
- $150 plus HST: Student members
- $735 plus HST: Non-members
- FREE to all registrants: CLA Hospitality Suite, Thursday, November 8, 6:30 to 11:30 p.m. Come and go as you please during the time period noted. Open bar and light snacks will be provided. Hospitality Suite room number to be confirmed closer to event date.
- $55 plus HST: Women in Criminal Law Dinner, Thursday, November 8 at 7 p.m.,THE RICHMOND, 477 Richmond St. W., Suite 104 (women only). Open bar and full course sit-down meal. Maximum 75 participants.
- $50 plus HST: Friday, November 9 Luncheon honouring Marlys Edwardh
- $50 plus HST: Saturday, November 10 Martin Medal Luncheon honouring John Rosen
To register for the conference along with extra options:
- REGISTER ONLINE BY GOING TO: https://members.criminallawyers.ca/events/fall-2018
- Register by phone (credit card payment required) by calling during business hours (Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.) 416-214-9875.
- Request a paper registration form by emailing [email protected].
To register for ONLY the Women’s dinner, Friday Luncheon and/or the Saturday Martin Medal Luncheon, please call the CLA office during business hours (Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.) 416-214-9875.
Friday, November 9:
8:45 to 9 a.m. Welcoming remarks from Michael Lacy, President, Criminal Lawyers’ Association
9 to 9:45 a.m. Drug recognition experts (DREs)
- Nathan Baker, Nathan Baker Law (Peterborough)
- Steven Maxwell, Drug Recognition Expert Consulting (Quebec)
9:45 to 10:15 a.m. Constitutional challenges to Bill C-75
- Stephanie DiGiuseppe, DiGiuseppe Law (Toronto)
- Brian Greenspan, Greenspan Humphrey Weinstein (Toronto)
10:15 to 11 a.m. The “f” Word – Fentanyl
- Joshua Frost, Joshua Frost Professional Corporation (Toronto)
- Pieter Kort, Kafka, Kort Barristers (Belleville)
- Kim Schofield, Defence Lawyer (Toronto)
11:30 a.m. to 12 noon Sexual harassment in the work place
- Esi Codjoe, Vice Chair, Human Rights Tribunal; Professor, Ryerson University; Secretary, Canadian Association of Black Lawyers (CABL) (Toronto)
- Lisa Freeman, Defence Lawyer (Toronto)
12 to 12:45 p.m. Legalization of marijuana and what is going to happen moving forward
- Annamaria Enenajor, Ruby Shiller & Enenajor Barristers (Toronto)
- Michael Spratt, Abergel Goldstein & Partners LLP (Ottawa)
- Sandy Thomas, Public Prosecution Service of Canada (Toronto)
12.45 to 1:15 p.m. Sopinka Lecture presented by Marie Henein, Henein Hutchison LLP (Toronto)
1:15 to 2:45 p.m. LUNCHEON honouring Marlys Edwardh
2:45 to 3:30 p.m. Evidence
- Palma Paciocco, Osgoode Hall Law School (Toronto)
- Justice Vincenzo (Enzo) Rondinelli, Ontario Court of Justice (Toronto)
- Moderator: Louis Strezos, Defence Lawyer (Toronto)
3:30 to 4:15 p.m. Technology in the courtroom
- David Parke. Crown Attorney’s Office (Oshawa)
- Joseph Wilkinson, Brauti Thorning Zibarras (Toronto)
4:15 to 5 p.m. Bill C-51 – Sexual assault
- Daniel Brown, Daniel Brown Law Office (Toronto)
- Teresa Donnelly, West Region Sexual Violence Crown, Ministry of the Attorney General (or MAG) (Goderich)
5 to 5:30 p.m. CLA Annual General Meeting (open to all current CLA members)
5:30 to 7 p.m. Cocktail Reception (open to all registrants)
Saturday, November 10:
9 to 9:30 a.m. Experts in SCJ
- Soloman Friedman, Edelson & Friedman LLP (Ottawa)
- Jeffrey Manishen, Ross & McBride LLP (Hamilton)
9:30 to 10:15 a.m. 15 Recent cases
- The Honourable Bruce Durno, Superior Court of Justice (Brampton)
- The Honourable Michal Fairburn, Ontario Court of Appeal (Brampton),
- The Honourable Mara Greene, Ontario Court of Justice (Toronto)
10:15 to 11 a.m. Ethics
- Alice Woolley, President, Canadian Association for Legal Ethics, Faculty of Law, University of Calgary (Calgary)
11:30 a.m. to 12 noon What is effective advocacy
- Royland Moriah, Defence Lawyer (Toronto)
- Liam O’Connor, Rusonik, O’Connor, Robbins, Ross, Gorham & Angelini (Toronto)
- Samantha Peeris, Defence Lawyer (Toronto)
12 to 12:45 p.m. Presentation by David Rudolf, Criminal Defense and Civil Rights Attorney (featured on Netflix series “The Staircase”), North Carolina, USA
1 to 3 p.m. Lunch and Presentation of the G. Arthur Martin Criminal Justice Award to John Rosen, Rosen & Company (Toronto)
Interested in a customized sponsorship package?
Please contact John Chagnon at 416-214-9875 or by email at [email protected].
Doucette Furgiuele Ruffo
Barefoot Law Professional Corporation
Courtyard Chambers: John Dent, Lisa Freeman, Janet Leiper & Nadia Liva
Donald H. Crawford, QC
Cancellations will be accepted in writing if received by 12 noon (ET) on or before November 1, 2018. Cancellations are to be sent to [email protected] A $35 admin fee will apply. No refunds will be accepted on or after November 2. The substitution of registrants is not accepted unless emailed to [email protected] 36 hours prior to the event start time. The sharing of registrations is not permitted.
The CLA reserves the right to alter or cancel, without prior notice, any of the arrangements relating directly or indirectly to an event, for any circumstances beyond the CLA’s reasonable control. If the CLA cancels the event, registrants will be offered a full refund. Should circumstances arise that result in the postponement of the event, registrants will have the option to either receive a full refund or transfer registration to the same event at the new, future date.
In the case of inclement weather, unless otherwise notified by CLA, the event will still take place. When an event proceeds as planned, there will be no refunds should attendees not be able to attend as a result of weather. The CLA will also not be liable to refund registration fees should the event be impacted by a transit strike, strike lock-out, accident, civil disturbance or any other cause whatsoever beyond their control.