4th Annual CLA Recent Call Conference
Date: November 11, 2018
RECENT CALL CONFERENCE DETAILS:
This program contains 2 hours and 35 minutes of Professionalism Content.
This program contains 35 minutes of EDI Professionalism Content.
This program is eligible for 3 hours and 50 minutes of Substantive Content.
Sunday, November 11, 2018, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Double Tree by Hilton, Mandarin Room, 108 Chestnut St, Toronto
IN PERSON OPTION ONLY
The Recent Call Conference is recommended for individuals in their first seven years of practice. Everyone is welcome to register including students, articling students and non-members.
This program provides opportunities for interactivity. Each panel of speakers will invite and answer questions from attendees. In addition, between the formal CPD sessions, attendees are encouraged to mingle with speakers to follow up on further information on unresolved issues. There are scheduled breaks in the agenda to facilitate discussion and engagement between attendees and speakers.
The purpose of the CLA’s annual Recent Call Conference is to provide educational programming tailored to the needs and interests of criminal defence lawyers in their first seven years of practice. The conference aims to be practical and offers a range of topics from substantive legal issues to practice management and ethical/professionalism issues. This year, we have seven sessions: 6 panel presentations (“Working with Legal Aid Ontario,” “Challenging Search Warrants,” “The Art of the Deal,” “Marketing Yourself,” “Preparing Your Client to Testify,” and “Guilty Pleas”), as well as a keynote “fireside chat” with Justice Gloria Epstein of the Court of Appeal for Ontario.
- $20 plus HST: CLA members
- $100 plus HST: Non-members
Register online for the Recent Call Conference by going to https://criminallawyers.wildapricot.org/event-3074411
Please note registration to the 46th Annual Fall Conference is separate. Details on that conference can be found by going to https://www.criminallawyers.ca/events/46th-annual-cla-fall-conference/
Not a current member of the CLA? Find out how to become a member by going to https://members.criminallawyers.ca/joinus
8:30 to 9 a.m.: Check in and light food and beverages
9 to 9:50 a.m.: Working with Legal Aid Ontario
- Gordon Cudjoe, Case Manager – LAO, Former Defence Counsel (Toronto)
- Darcy DesLauriers, Director, Lawyer Services and Payments. Legal Aid Ontario (Toronto)
- Jordan Weisz, Defence Lawyer (Toronto)
9:50 to 10:50 a.m.: Challenging Search Warrants
- The Honourable Justice Chris de Sa of the Superior Court of Justice (Newmarket)
- Nathan Gorham, Rusonik, O’Connor, Robbins, Ross, Gorham & Angelini (Toronto)
- Faisal Mirza, Defence Lawyer (Mississauga)
10:50 to: 11:10 a.m.: Break with one-minute moment of silence to remember sacrifices of members of the armed forces and of civilians in times of war.
11:10 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.: The Art of the Deal
- Mary Cremer, Cremer Barristers (Toronto)
- Daniel Del Gobbo, Adjunct Professor at Osgoode Hall Law School (Toronto)
- Ann Marina Elias, Federal Crown (Toronto)
12:15 to 1 p.m.: Lunch & Keynote – In Conversation with Justice Gloria Epstein: Reflections on 25 Years on the Bench
1 to 1:50 p.m.: Creating an ethical brand and presence
- Dan Brown, Daniel Brown Law Office (Toronto)
- Anne Marie McElroy, McElroy Law (Ottawa)
- Sean Robichaud, Robichaud’s Barristers & Solicitors (Toronto)
1:50 to 2:40 p.m.: Preparing Your Client to Testify
- Hussein Aly, Defence Lawyers (Toronto)
- Stephen Bernstein, Bernstein, Newman and Associates (Toronto)
- Kendra Stanyon, Defence Lawyer (Toronto)
2:40 to 3 p.m.: Break
3 to 4 p.m.: I’m innocent! Now I want to plead guilty
- The Honourable Katherine McLeod, Ontario Court of Justice (Brampton)
- The Honourable Ian Nordheimer, Court of Appeal for Ontario (Toronto)
- Nicole Rozier, Moon Rozier Legal Professional Corporation (Brampton)
Doucette Furgiuele Ruffo
Barefoot Law Professional Corporation
Courtyard Chambers: John Dent, Lisa Freeman, Janet Leiper & Nadia Liva
Donald H. Crawford, QC
Cancellations will be accepted if received in writing by 12 noon (ET) on or before November 1, 2018. Cancellations are to be sent to [email protected]. A $10 admin fee will apply. No refunds will be accepted on or after November 2. The substitution of registrants is not accepted unless emailed to [email protected] 36 hours prior to the event start time.The sharing of registrations is not permitted.
The CLA reserves the right to alter or cancel, without prior notice, any of the arrangements relating directly or indirectly to an event, for any circumstances beyond the CLA’s reasonable control. If the CLA cancels the event, registrants will be offered a full refund. Should circumstances arise that result in the postponement of the event, registrants will have the option to either receive a full refund or transfer registration to the same event at the new, future date.
In the case of inclement weather, unless otherwise notified by CLA, the event will still take place. When the event proceeds as planned, there will be no refunds should attendees not be able to attend as a result of weather. The CLA will also not be liable to refund registration fees should the event be impacted by a transit strike, strike lock-out, accident, civil disturbance or any other cause whatsoever beyond their control.