4th CLA Women in Criminal Law Conference
Date: April 6, 2019
Social: Friday, April 5, 2019, 7 to 10 p.m. at the Georgian Bay Hotel
Conference: Saturday, April 6, 2019, 8:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the Grand Ballroom
Georgian Bay Hotel, 10 Vacation Inn Drive, Collingwood, Ontario
This conference is open to all women, individuals that identify as female and allies of women.
This program is designed specifically for women and for individuals who identify as females or allies of women. The goal of this program is to focus on and address issues that women and/or individuals who identify as females encounter in the practice of criminal law. This program provides an opportunity for female lawyers to address the issues they encounter in an environment where there are other women with similar issues and in an environment free of embarrassment and pressure. The program also provides a networking opportunity for women to meet other female lawyers who they have either heard of or seen in court but never had the opportunity to meet and talk to.
- 8:45 to 9:45 a.m. Check-in and Continental Breakfast
- 9:45 to 10 a.m. Conference Welcome from Co-Chairs of the CLA Women’s Committee:
- Cassandra DeMelo, DeMelo Law (London)
- 10 to 11 a.m. First things First: Taking Care of Ourselves
- Moderator: Cassandra DeMelo, DeMelo Law (London)
- Dr. Janine Cutler, PhD, Clinical and Forensic Psychologist, CBT Associates
- The Honourable Jeanine LeRoy, Ontario Court of Justice
- 11 to 11:15 a.m. Intermission & Coffee Break
- 11:15 a.m. to 12 p.m. It’s Boring, but It Helps us Get Paid: Money Management!
- Moderator: Tonya Kent, Defence Lawyer (Toronto)
- Pharah Bacchus, Defence Lawyer (Toronto)
- Sara Zollo, Financial Advisor, Sun Life Financial (Richmond Hill)
- 12 to 1 p.m. To Tweet or Not to Tweet: Social Media in the Criminal Law Practice
- Moderator: Maya Shukairy, Shukairy Law (Ottawa)
- Anne-Marie McElroy, McElroy Law (Ottawa)
- Danielle Robitaille, Henein Hutchinson LLP (Toronto)
- 1 to 2 p.m. Lunch & Intermission
- 2 to 3 p.m. Women Lawyers: Myths, Media, Reality
- Jill Presser, Presser Barristers (Toronto)
- 3 to 4 p.m. Top 5 Cases by 5 Top Women
- Promise Holmes Skinner, Promise Holmes Skinner Barrister & Solicitor (Toronto) – R v. Sharma
- Riali Johannesson, Riali Johannesson Law (Parry Sound)
- Emily Lam, Kastner Law (Toronto) – R v. Jackson
- Megan Savard, Addario Law Group (Toronto) – R v. Barton
- Samara Secter, Addario Law Group (Toronto) – R v. Le
- 4 to 4:30 p.m. Networking and Closing Remarks
The Georgian Bay Hotel has expansive grounds that include an on-site Spa and Restaurant, indoor and outdoor pool, fitness center, tennis court, children’s playground, and Superstition Golf; a spectacularly landscaped 18 hole professional family putting course. Find out more by going to http://collingwoodconferencecentre.com/coporate-events-collingwood-blue-mountain/.
10 Vacation Inn Drive
Collingwood, ON L9Y 5G4
When booking your stay, please be sure to note you are part of the Criminal Lawyers’ Association.
- Standard Rooms(1 King) – $129.29/night plus tax
- Standard Rooms(2 Queens) – $129.29/night plus tax
- One Bedroom Suites – $160.65/night plus tax
- Two Bedroom Suite – $205/night plus tax (two night booking required)
The 2019 CLA Women in Criminal Law” program to be held on April 6, 2019 has been accredited for 2 hours of Professionalism Content. This program contains 1 hour of EDI Professionalism Content. This program is eligible for up to 2 hours, 45 minutes of Substantive hours.
- Full/Observer Member called in or before 2016: $230+HST
- Full/Observer Member called in 2017 and after: $210+HST
- Articling Student member: $185+HST
- Student Member: $100+HST
- Non-Member Practicing Lawyer: $300+HST
- Non-Member Articling Students, Students, law clerks and paralegals: $215+HST
Friday Evening Social Pricing for Member & Non-member: $50+HST
Register online by going to https://members.criminallawyers.ca/event-3260270 or call the CLA office during business hours to register by phone (credit card payment required) by calling 416-214-9875.
Generously Sponsored by:
As we plan for our upcoming events in 2019, we would like to extend an invitation to you and your organization to partner with us in supporting the continuing education and development of our valued members.
As a not-for-profit association, the contributions from organizations like yourselves, is critical to the success of these events and similar future events. As such, we have two conference sponsorship opportunities available:
- Our Women in Criminal Law Conference (April 6, 2019 in Collingwood) is a forum for our female member base to discuss female-centric issues and policies. It also offers an opportunity for networking with the Social gathering the evening before the main conference. With attendance expected to exceed 100, this is a great opportunity to support a very focused group of individuals.
Click here to view Sponsorship Package that outlines in more detail how you can become a partner. If you choose to sponsor both of these great events, there are customized opportunities that we would be happy to discuss further with you. If you have any questions, please direct them to [email protected].
We hope that you see value in supporting these great initiatives and the benefits to your organization through partnership with the Criminal Lawyers’ Association.
Cancellations will be accepted in writing if received by 12 noon (ET) on or before March 29. Cancellations are to be sent to [email protected] [email protected]. A $25 admin fee will apply. No refunds will be accepted on or after March 29. The substitution of registrants is not accepted unless emailed to [email protected] 36 hours prior to the event start time. The sharing of registrations is not permitted. The CLA reserves the right to alter or cancel, without prior notice, any of the arrangements relating directly or indirectly to an event, for any circumstances beyond the CLA’s reasonable control. If CLA cancels the event, registrants will be offered a full refund. Should circumstances arise that result in the postponement of an event, registrants will have the option to either receive a full refund or transfer registration to the same event at the new, future date. In the case of inclement weather, unless otherwise notified by CLA, the event will still take place. When an event proceeds as planned, there will be no refunds should attendees not be able to attend as a result of weather. The CLA will also not be liable to refund registration fees should the event be impacted by a transit strike, strike lock-out, accident, civil disturbance or any other cause whatsoever beyond their control.